- Gaffer’s tape. http://amzn.to/2aI8Op6 This IS NOT DUCT TAPE. The material is fabric and typically matte black. No shiny surface here. The other major difference is the adhesive. Gaffer tape adhesive is strong but it doesn’t leave residue behind, like duct tape does. I use gaffer tape to cover up red blinking LEDs on flashes I find distracting, I’ve taped flashes to walls with it. I’ve used it to mask off part of the flash itself so it produces a smaller light. I’ve used it to make impromptu snoots and flags. Great stuff. I love Gaffer tape.
- A flashlight like this one: http://amzn.to/2ajgXmP I use it to find stuff in my bag, I’ve used it to be a brighter focus-assist light in dim lighting, and I’ve used it to do either additional light on a subject or to light paint. The button on this model turns the light on without having to press it all the way down, so I can paint in little bits of light. I’ve also used it as a regular flashlight when I have to walk in dark spooky surroundings. It’s pretty powerful and shoots out a nice beam of light.
- A Tile Bluetooth tracker. http://amzn.to/2at77Qy It goes inside my bag so I can find it later. It’s Bluetooth so it pairs with your phone and if you lose your bag, this increases the possibility you can find it. Even if it’s far away, any other Tile user with the app on their phone will help you locate your Tile. Side note, if you press the button on the Tile, it will help you find your phone if you misplaced it, say, between the seats in your truck.
- Field Notes http://amzn.to/2aI9Txc and a Space Pen http://amzn.to/2abR2sp This ensures I can write down things like names and important facts I need to remember later. I also write my shot list in here ahead of time as I have ideas. They are little notebooks that fit nicely in a shirt pocket and increase your “Nerd” score. I also carry a mechanical pencil like this http://amzn.to/2arLUVh in case I run out of ink.
- I keep a multitool like this one http://amzn.to/2a2Nmtr in there as well. The various screwdrivers and the saw come in handy in a pinch.
- Giottos Air Rocket. http://amzn.to/2aIauiE I use this all the time when I change lenses. It’s used to blow air off the ends of the lens you are about to place onto your camera.
- Pelican Memory card case http://amzn.to/2arOc75 It keeps all my cards together in a very rugged case. The one I linked to is for SD cards. I have another one http://amzn.to/2a2OoFS for my Compact Flash cards.
Here’s a few items I’ve found useful over the years that aren’t exactly standard items in camera stores.